Acquire is committed to respecting and protecting the integrity of your privacy and your personal information collected by Acquire to enable us to provide our services. Our policy applies to all and any personal information which we collect hold or use; whether, for example, you are a student, prospective student or a person within an education or training organisation with whom we deal.
This Policy also applies to our subsidiary companies and associated or related businesses, including CareerOne Education.
Why we collect Personal Information.
Acquire collects and retains personal information about you including your name, address and contact details and details concerning your career aspirations and your educational and vocational qualifications. We also collect, retain and use information relating to your career aspirations.
If we did not collect and make use of your personal information, we would be unable to provide you with our services. Further, the personalised nature of our services means that, practically, we are unable to offer them to you on an anonymous or pseudonymous basis. What we offer you is designed with you in mind based on a range of information, including the information you have provided to us.
In particular, we collect your information in order to:
- Process your enrolment or other study applications with Acquire’s education and training clients
- Process any employment application or inquiries you have made through Acquire
- Assess your current and future vocational status and educational and training needs
- Offer you specific, personalised and relevant vocational training and educational information and services based on the information you have provided to us (including your career aspirations) which may enhance your qualifications and career opportunities
- Inform you of available educational and training opportunities, financial subsidies and/or support services
- Directly market educational, career and other opportunities to you, including through means of online remarketing, telemarketing and email marketing
- Maintain our business relationship with you and offer our services on an on-going basis
- Liaise with Acquire’s related entities and third party service providers for the provision of the foregoing services to you and of facilities, such as data processing and storage, to allow Acquire to effectively offer you the services.
If you apply for a job advertised by us or one of our related entities, we will also email you education and career related personality tests and surveys.
We may also use your information for compliance purposes and in-house research and analysis. This helps us to:
- Improve our understanding of customer needs
- Create marketing profiles
- Support strategic development.
- Ensure we are complying with the regulatory and legal framework in which we operate.
To enable us to conduct research we may share your information with third party suppliers employed to help. All results of any such research and analysis will be anonymised or aggregated information and will not reveal any personal details of individual customers.
How do we collect your personal information?
Where possible we collect your personal information directly from you.
Personal information is generally collected during the course of our contact with you and is largely provided by you. It may be collected verbally in discussions with our employees or agents. It may be supplied in writing by you in the form of job applications, enrolment applications and details, curriculum vitae or academic records submitted by you in hard copy or electronically, either directly to us, or in some circumstances to a third party in which case Acquire is careful to ensure that the third party provides your information with your consent.
We may monitor (record) telephone conversations with you for staff training and compliance purposes. We will inform you prior to any telephone conversation which is monitored (recorded) in this way to obtain your prior approval.
The information will necessarily include your identity, age, gender and current contact details. It will generally also include the information contained in your curriculum vitae or job applications relevant to your vocational and educational history such as previous employment, training or study details, qualifications or skills you hold and membership of trade or professional associations.
We may also share information between our related or affiliated entities, depending on which of our related or affiliated entities you initially dealt with and what services you obtain.
On occasion, information concerning you, your work history or qualifications may be provided by third parties such as former employers or educational institutions. Where this occurs we will take all reasonable steps to inform you of that.
In addition, some personal information may also be collected by use of “Cookies” when you contact Acquire or its associated entities on-line. A cookie is a small file which is placed on your hard drive when you visit Acquire websites (directly or via our applications). We use information from cookies for purposes which may include:
- Identifying returning users, and subscribers
- Eliminating the need for returning users to re-enter their login details
- Enabling you to move more easily around our website and applications
- Tracking your use of our sites to better develop our sites and applications in accordance with your requirements
- Building up an anonymous profile based on your browsing patterns across our sites, applications and third party websites, which enables us to make advertisements and content available to you that is more relevant to your interests
- Enabling targeted services and opportunities to be directly marketed to you based on your browsing history.
You can delete cookies from your hard drive at any time. Bear in mind, though, that if you delete them, any settings such as your stored username and password will have to be reset when you next log in.
You will be able to use our websites and applications even if your browser is not set to accept cookies. However, certain features and content may not be available to you and you will have to log in every time you visit.
In all cases you agree that provision by you to us of personal information, including sensitive information, constitutes consent to our collecting, storing, using and disclosing that information for the purposes outlined above and in the ways outlined in this policy.
How we use your information
We use the personal information we collect to provide employment, educational and training services to you. Acquire will undertake analysis of your vocational history and qualifications and consider it in the context of available employment and training programs in order to identify and inform you of further training or other vocational opportunities relevant to you
In doing so, and to enable us to provide you with those services, we will include your personal information in our direct marketing database and client databases.
If you have consent for us to do so, we may also pass on your information to Compare Courses Pty Ltd who may contact you to discuss potentially enrolling in education courses with third party training organisations. If you do not wish to be contacted by Compare Courses about education or training services, you may opt out at any time by requesting to be removed from the database via:
Tel: 1300 136 349
Mail: Compare Courses Privacy Officer, 600 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn, Vic, Australia 3122
In person: by attending 600 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn, Vic, Australia 3122.
In order to provide those services or fulfill the purposes identified above, we may also disclose your Personal Information or some of it to other of our related entities or affiliated third party service providers such as data processors or direct marketing consultants.
We do not and never will sell or provide your details to third party advertisers or any any unrelated entity unless we were to sell the business or part of it.
Have you applied for a job advertised on the CareerOne website?
If you have consented for CareerOne to do so (either by applying for a job through the CareerOne job board or registering with CareerOne), CareerOne may also share your information with us, for the purposes of the provision of services by our joint venture, CareerOne Education. Unless you opt out, we will contact you to discuss potentially enrolling in education courses with third party training organisations.
If you do not wish to be contacted by Acquire Learning or CareerOne Education about education or training services, you may opt out at any time by requesting to be removed from the database via:
Tel: 1800 555 010;
Mail: CareerOne Education Privacy Officer, 600 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn, Vic, Australia 3122
In person: by attending 600 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn, Vic, Australia 3122.
By following the instructions below, under the heading "Opting out of direct marketing".
From time to time we may use your personal information to provide you with information about our services. By accepting Acquire’s terms of service and the terms of this policy and by providing Acquire with information or seeking its services, you consent to direct marketing to you of relevant services or opportunities identified by Acquire, its related entities or third party service providers dealing with Acquire. If any phone number you have provided to us is registered on the Do Not Call register you consent to Acquire or its direct marketing providers calling that number or those numbers. Acquire may continue to contact you for an indefinite period unless and until you advise us otherwise.
Opting out of direct marketing
If you do not want to receive any of this information after providing your consent, you may opt out of receiving direct marketing (whether it be by phone or email) at any time and request to be removed from out database, in the following ways:
- by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- telephoning us on 1800 426 732;
- sending us correspondence addressed to:
Acquire Learning Privacy Officer
600 Glenferrie Road
Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia 3122; or
- attending our head office in person, at 600 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia 3122,
You may also opt-out and stop the delivery of future promotional material from Acquire by following the special instructions (in the form of an unsubscribe function) in any marketing email you may receive from us. These instructions will tell you how to remove your name from our database and marketing list.
Once you have told us you no longer wish to receive information about our services, we will not send you any further material. We will keep your basic details in our ‘do not contact’ database so that we do not contact you again.
You can, however, change your mind about receiving information about our services at any time – you just need to let us know by contacting us as outlined above.
Do we disclose your personal information to anyone?
Acquire will disclose your personal information to our related entities and/or certain affiliated third party service providers in certain relevant circumstances and in the provision of our services to you. This may include disclosure to:
- Prospective employers
- Educational and vocational training bodies
- Third party service providers such as data processors for the purpose of entering your information into our databases.
Ensuring your personal information is up to date.
We rely on the personal information we hold about you to efficiently provide our services. Accordingly, it is important that the personal information we collect from you is accurate, complete and up to date.
During the course of our relationship with you we will ask you to tell us of any changes to your personal information. However, you can contact us at any time to update your personal information or to tell us the information we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete.
Is my personal information secure?
Acquire takes all reasonable precautions to safeguard your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We employ a number of means to protect your personal information, including:
- External and internal premises security
- Restricted access to personal information
- Maintaining a secure computer network to prevent unauthorised access
- Regular reviewing and testing of our software in order to improve the level of security Internal policies in relation to Acquire computer use
- Taking reasonable steps to ensure third parties provide information security of a similar standard.
- It is our policy to regularly review and if it is no longer being used, remove personal information from our systems.
Please note that there are inherent features of internet communications – including e-mail – which are not secure and may involve your communications being routed through a number of servers and different countries. Acquire cannot control this and does not guarantee the security of such transmission. Be aware that various encryption methods can be employed to secure that information if you are concerned about it but, one again, Acquire does not control or particularly recommend any of these and does not warrant their effectiveness.
Acquire uses the services of overseas data storage and processing services and maintains databases outside of Australia.
The countries where your personal information may be sent presently include the USA and the Philippines. Acquire contractually obliges all and any overseas parties to whom it entrusts its data and your personal information to abide by the terms of this Policy and provide secure and discrete information handling and storage which meets the standards required by Australian law.
As noted above, you should also be aware that e-mail services and communication over the internet may involve portions of your personal information being routed through servers located anywhere in the world. This is a technical feature of the function of the internet and e-mail and is not a matter under Acquire’s control.
A Commonwealth identifier is a Commonwealth Government or Commonwealth Government agency designated identification number such as your Tax File Number (TFN) or Medicare number.
Acquire does not use Commonwealth identifiers as a means of identifying the personal information that we may have collected about you, even if you have supplied that information to us.
Can I access or correct my personal information?
You may request access to any of the personal information we hold about you. In most cases, a summary of personal information such as your name and address details, contact telephone numbers and the matters you have engaged us on are freely available to you by contacting us by any of the means set out at the end of this policy.
Acquire may be required by law to retain your personal information for a period of time after you have ceased your relationship with us. After the required time has passed, we attend to the secure destruction or deletion of your personal information.
Concerns or requests for access
Can I complain about a breach of my privacy?
We offer a free internal complaint resolution scheme to all of our customers. Should you have a privacy complaint, please contact us so we can try to fix the problem.
To assist us in helping you, we ask you to follow a simple three-step process:
- Gather all supporting documents about the matter of complaint, think about the questions you want answered and decide on what you want us to do.
- Contact the Acquire Learning Privacy Officer via the contact details outlined above, where your situation will be reviewed and if possible resolved straight away. A quick chat is all that’s required to resolve most issues.
- If at this stage the matter has not been resolved to your satisfaction, the matter will be referred to a senior manager within Acquire or the relevant organisation within the Acquire group of companies. We will provide you with the name and contact details of the officer who will investigate your complaint, answer your questions and do all they can to assist you.
What if I am not satisfied with the response?
If you are not satisfied with the result of your complaint to Acquire, you can refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Mail: Office of the Australian Information Commissioner GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001
Telephone: 1300 363 992 Email: email@example.com
Changes to this Policy
"Acquire" in this document means Acquire Learning Pty Ltd (ABN 29 168 523 279) and its subsidiaries or related businesses including, CareerOne Education.
"Personal information" is any information about you that identifies you or information by which your identity can be determined.
"Sensitive Information" is personal information concerning your:
- racial or ethnic origin
- political opinions
- membership of a political association
- religious beliefs or affiliations
- philosophical beliefs
- membership of a professional or trade association
© Acquire Learning Pty Ltd 2016. All rights reserved.